Summer saison version 3 in the fermenter! For this years batch I opted to make a pretty simple rye saison, similar to what I brewed the 1st time a few years back. That batch had 10% rye malt in the grist so I upped to 30% for this batch. This amount of rye should give a nice earthy spice to it.
I waited a little bit later than usual to get this brewed as I really wanted to use one of the seasonal strains out right not, Wyeast 3726 – Farmhouse Ale. I’m really hoping to get a classic earth/spice esters that will pair nicely with the spicy kick the rye malt will provide. I also used a little bit of new hop, Jarrylo, which is described as having notes of banana, grassy, pear, orange, spicy, fruit so it seemed like a good fit with this beer. No issues mashing with the rye and the runoff was normal, however since the rye gives so much protein and beta glucans my hop filter was clogged from the buildup around the outside not letting the wort flow out at the end of the boil. I was able to drain most of the liquid out, but couldn’t quite get it all. This might impact some of the hoppiness, but this beers isn’t all that hop forward so I doubt it will be an issue.
Mash: 150 (60 min)
Boil: 90 min.
Mash pH: 5.4
57.5% Pilsner Malt (Weyermann)
30.2% Rye Malt
5.2% Kolsch Malt
4.7% Bonlander Munich Malt
2.3% Acidulated Malt
0.25 oz Jarrylo (14.2%) 60 min.
0.75 oz Sterling (4.5%) 15 min.
0.75 oz Jarrylo (14.2%) 0 min.
2.00 oz Sterling (4.5%) 0 min.
Wyeast 3726 – Farmhouse Ale
Made a 750 ml starter before brew day for an estimated 175 billion cells. Pitched into 73 degree wort and I’m planning on letting this free rise up to about 82 or so (if it gets that high) and maintaining the temperature there. Fermentation started off pretty quick so I’m assuming this one will be a fairly quick fermentation.
Also, for this batch I tested the gravity of the runnings during the sparge since I mostly make smaller beers I wanted to check I wasn’t oversparging. The end of the 1st batch sparge was 1.050 and the end of the 2nd sparge was 1.019, so definitely in the safe zone as 1.008 seems to be the cut off point from what I’ve read. I did slightly over shoot my starting gravity and it seems that whenever I use Weyermann Pilsner malts I get an extra 5 – 8% extract efficiency, which is something I’ll need to keep in mind for the future.
Kegged on 8/23 and finished a touch higher than I thought at 1.011. This yielded 79% attenuation, which is the high end of the range Wyeast lists for this strain. However, I usually get more attenuation than the listed numbers in most cases so this was a little bit unexpected. So far the beer has a great ester profile and drinks pretty dry, so the higher finishing gravity doesn’t look to be much of an issue.
Tasting notes – 9.29.15
Aroma: Classic bubblegum phenols with a little bit of juicy fruitiness in there as well. I’m assuming the aroma is all yeast, but may be a mix of yeast esters and hop aroma, tough to tell for sure.
Appearance: Hazy golden with a nice white head that fades away after a minute or so.
Taste: Same esters in the aroma (bubblegum, fruit and some spice) hit up front and gives way to a really nice grainy, spiciness (from the rye). Finishes fairly clean and much drier than I was expecting (considering the attenuation).
Mouthfeel: Medium to medium plus with medium carbonation.
Overall: This beer has really grown on me. At first I thought it was kind of boring for what I was looking for, but the flavors have really rounded out nicely. It does have some nice complexity to it, but is very approachable and drinkable. I love the classic esters and phenols this yeast gives as it has more of the saison dupont ester profile compared to the fruity/peppery profile of the French Saison yeast I’ve used in previous batches. The rye really comes through nicely giving a creamy body and a rustic graininess that hangs on the tongue. There is room for refinements, but this is a nice beer thats hits all the boxes for a summer saison. Cheers.